Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Katy's Korner


LIFE IS LIKE…A “STORM”


Sometimes you hear a song for the first time and something really hits home.  Whether it’s just a phrase, a line or two or the whole song.  When I first heard Lifehouse’s “Storm”, well, it wasn’t just a homerun, it was completely out of the ballpark.

The song begins,

How long have I been in this storm
so overwhelmed by the ocean's shapeless form
water's getting harder to tread
with these waves crashing over my head”

How many times have you felt that way?  Perhaps you feel that way now.

The word ‘storm’ can mean so many different things I guess.  We all experience storms in our lives in many different forms. 

Right now a perfect storm has settled over the Schutte house. 

Hurricanes, tropical storms, etc. are given a persons first name. Ours doesn’t sport a name.  We refer to it as a ‘Shit Storm’.  It is as powerful as Hurricanes Andrew and Katrina combined.

I’ll spare you the details. Unfortunately too many people are experiencing the same financial problems.

Hopefully we have passed the eye of the storm.  Still not out of it, but we’re that much closer seeing the sunlight again.  Only God knows, but I’m certainly praying that we’ll be seeing the sun again soon!

He has been helping us tremendously, thru generous family members and offers of ‘if there is anything you need’ from family we know are barely making ends meet themselves.  We would like to take this time to thank them. (You know who you are). 

God is also chipping in with “simple” things.  A new razor found; (Joe was using the cheap ones-all you had to do was look at his face to know that-and we needed to purchase better ones).  I broke my food scale (which I use every time I eat a meal) and found one in the “donate” to St. Vinny’s box.  It was the same day as I found the razor, as a matter of fact. 

Even though that may not seem much to some reading this, it is proof He is providing for us.  Guess it’s the whole “Give us our daily bread” thing.  Personally I would prefer if it was longer than just a day.  But, He did have a reason for that and He’d probably get pissed if I tried to change it.  Perhaps that has to do with all that faith and relying on Him, I guess. 

FINALLY BACK TO THE SONG!
I know you didn't bring me out here to drown
so why am I 10 feet under and upside down
barely surviving has become my purpose
cause I'm so used to living underneath the surface

Without trying to be a therapist, how does that relate to you?

“I’m so used to living underneath the surface”.  Eight simple words with so many possible meanings.

Life is a struggle, some times more than others.  That’s when we rely more on Him and our faith to get us through.  Easier said than done.

“Living under the surface.”  To me, that phrase means my depression (and the infamous financial concerns as well).  I’m struggling to reach the surface, to see the light.

To others it may mean you are living under the radar.  Hiding.  Maybe from others and/or daily situations and the struggle that entails.

I doubt that there are any two people with the same exact answer.

“If I could just see you
everything would be alright
if I’d see you
this darkness would turn to light”

“and I will walk on water
and you will catch me if I fall
and I will get lost into your eyes
I know everything will be alright

and I will walk on water
and you will catch me if I fall
and I will get lost into your eyes
I know everything will be alright
I know everything is alright”

Even with the trouble we are having, God has been providing for the Schutte household. 

Look around.  In what simple ways (that you never noticed) has He been providing for you?

“I know everything will be alright”.  Hold on to that and before you know it “everything is alright”.



1 comment:

  1. your short excerpt squeezed a few tears out of me Katy... what beautiful lyrics... heads are meant to be held high... and sometimes its almost refreshing to know that there is no where to go but up.... you're both in my heart

    ReplyDelete